Ever since the time of the Ancient Egyptians, castor oil has been revered for its medicinal properties. Used throughout history to address a wide range of health problems, castor oil is most famous today for treating skin conditions, relieving constipation, promoting hair growth and inducing labor.
One of castor oil’s major skincare benefits is its ability to help treat acne. If you want to learn about castor oil for acne, continue reading this article.
How Castor Oil Works against Acne
Acne is a common skin condition in which accumulated impurities cause the skin to become inflamed and irritated. It is common among adolescents, although it can affect all age groups. Symptoms of acne include the appearance of blackheads, whiteheads, pinheads and pimples, and scaly red skin. Severe acne can lead to permanent scarring of the skin.
Many remedies are currently used to treat acne, including medications containing benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Laser surgery can also be done to reduce scars left behind by acne. If you want to try a natural remedy, however, you can use castor oil for acne.
When castor oil is used for acne, it draws dirt out of the skin, as well as bacteria, dead skin cells and excess oils. It does not clog pores and helps cleanse the skin, since it has the ability to deeply penetrate the skin and target most of the causes of acne. This makes it one of the best natural remedies for acne.
Other Uses of Castor Oil for Skin
Aside from getting rid of acne, castor oil also helps detoxify the skin. It helps break up the oils that clog glands and pores on the face. This is because of a compound called undercylenic acid, which helps disinfect the skin and get rid of other skin conditions. It can also cleanse the skin of dead skin cells that are clogging the sebaceous glands and that, if left untreated, can lead to further breakouts.
You may also choose to moisturize your skin using castor oil, as it can soften dry skin and help minimize the appearance of age spots. It is an excellent skin emollient that you can use on dry skin.
How to Use Castor Oil for Acne
If you want to try a castor oil for acne treatment, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Prepare a towel and a pot of steaming water.
- Hold the towel over your head and lean your face over the steaming water. This will open up your pores so that the castor oil can penetrate your skin.
- After a few minutes, moisten the washcloth with lukewarm water and apply a dime-sized amount of castor oil to the damp cloth.
- Using the washcloth, gently rub castor oil into the acne-affected areas using circular motions.
- Allow the castor oil to remain on your skin overnight.
- In the morning, remove the castor oil from your skin by using a damp towel.
- Rinse the skin with cold water. Warm water opens up your pores, and cold water shrinks your pores after acne treatment.
- Pat your skin dry and apply facial cleanser to wash away the remaining castor oil.
This castor oil for acne remedy is best done over a period of 10 to 14 days. You should do this before you go to sleep at night. To use castor oil as a preventative treatment for acne, follow this process once or twice a week.
Deep Skin Cleansing with Castor Oil
If you want to keep your skin looking good, you can also try the deep cleansing method. This will penetrate your skin on a deeper level so that you can also moisturize your skin, leaving it soft, smooth and flawless. The method for using castor oil for acne is not the same as the deep cleansing method. To cleanse, you need to dilute the thick castor oil with another oil that is thinner in consistency. You can use either sunflower seed oil or extra virgin coconut oil, as both will aid the transportation of castor oil deep into the pores.
When blending your oil of choice with castor oil for acne, keep your skin type in mind. For oily skin, you can try a blend of 30% castor oil and 70% sunflower seed oil. For dry skin, 10% of castor oil and 90% sunflower seed oil is recommended. If you have balanced skin, you can blend 20% castor oil to 80% sunflower seed oil.
To do the deep cleansing method using castor oil for acne, follow these steps:
- Prepare a washcloth, hot running water, and the correct oil blend for your skin type.
- Pour a generous puddle of oil blend on your palm and rub your hands together to warm the oil.
- Massage the oil on your face using slow, firm motions across the skin. Take your time and focus extra attention on your problem areas.
- Once your pores are saturated, soak your washcloth in clean, hot water.
- Hold the washcloth to your face and allow it to stay there until it cools. Afterwards, wipe the oil gently with the washcloth, and then rinse it in hot, running water. Repeat this step again two or three times to clean your face thoroughly. Avoid scrubbing your face.
You should definitely consider castor oil if you want to help treat your acne and other skin problems. Just remember to apply castor oil for acne regularly to help keep your skin flawless and beautiful.